NDIS & the Disability Support Pension
NDIS is not welfare, and the Australian Values Party completely understands this. We have included these two areas within one policy approach as there are common issues and opportunities to better support a more enjoyable way of life for Australians on or in receipt of either or both.
The Australian Values Party has conducted specific consultation with individuals and communities in receipt of the Disability Pension and engaged within the NDIS and NDIA.
During this consultation, the Australian Values Party also met with many Australians living with severe impairments who struggle to maintain an affordable enjoyable standard of living given the increased cost of living including the additional requirements of their impairment. Many of these individuals have expressed that they would be able to afford a more independent and enjoyable standard of living internationally, within the Asia-Pacific region. The opportunities of these realities need to be better assessed taking into account the cost considerations, Australian domestic capabilities and capacities, while prioritising the quality of life achievable for the individual.
The Australian Values Party will work to better support those Australians living with a disability through pursuing the following initiatives:
- Expansion of Australia's international NDIS partnership initiatives to focus within our immediate Asia-Pacific Region.
- Develop greater provisions for regulation and accountability of NDIS service and equipment providers to reduce price gouging and exploitation of commonwealth expenditure.
- Develop greater provisions for the assessment and regulation of employment conditions for carers including on contractual basis to ensure that the individuals completing the service provision are appropriately recognised, supported and compensated.
- Reform legislation in order to better support Australians with severe disabilities seeking to live independently in order to achieve a more affordable enjoyable way of life, including provision of the disability pension at a lower justification threshold for overseas living benefit.
- Reform the NDIS application processes to make it easier for carers of persons with a disability to quickly obtain or renew assistance for NDIS applicants where eligible.
Policies serving Australians
The purpose of the Australian Values Party is to promote a government with a sense of responsibility and accountability to the Australian people, to protect the Australian values and promote the welfare of our Australian people.